Tuesday 29 July 2008

Friendlies

Disclaimer: The following post contains no references to gear, hills or indeed anything that could be remotely construed as "outdoorsy". (Although the graphical representation of trees, water and mountains is rather nice) If you play, you'll understand.

It's easy, in these times of scammers, spammers, phishers and other sundry low-lives, to think of the internet as nought other than a polluted conduit bringing all manner of sh*te into our lives. But sometimes, just sometimes, it can be a force for good and happiness.

The journey into the Haloverse can be perilous but also rewarding. Occasionally, the mix of folk is just right and you remember that the good people far outweigh the bad.

Witness then, the titanic struggle of Capture The Flag in Big Team Social. 16 strangers working together in 2 teams, in a spontaneous act of bonding.

No words spoken. Everyone knew the task in hand and each played their part. The defenders held their flag for 15 long minutes, the attackers relentless in their determination to pry it from their grasp.

And pry it, we did.

Death from above? Not this time.

With "friendlies" overhead, I managed to get two-thirds of the way back to base before a determined counter-attack took me down.

Run Forrest, run!

The rest of my team were already on the way and took the flag regardless. Nobody said a word.

With 2 minutes left, and the other team pressing hard, I fought my way into their base and took their flag again. One of my team mates was outside, transport at the ready.

Teamwork.

We made it back with 3 seconds on the clock.Again, no words.

Game over and back in the post-game lobby, the banter was all "Well played" and "Good game." Friends were made, new loyalties forged and everybody had a ball. And that's what it's all about.

2 comments:

Joe Newton said...

Big Kev, thanks for reminding me how good Halo is. I've been looking after my friend's PS3 while he's away travelling and been playing Resistence: Fall of Man. I tried to pretend it was a good FPS but you've shown me the light. I will box up the PS3 when I get home and sin no more.

Big Kev said...

Good lad! I nearly bought a PS3 just to play FOM but then I saw Gears of War/Halo 3 and my mind was made up; an XBox it had to be.

Halo multiplayer never gets old. I didn't mention the HD telly-box we bought at the w/e. Halo in HD? OMFG, as the youngsters say. Stunning isnae the word.

COD4 and Bad Company still get the occasional look-in tho' :o)