Sunday 18 May 2008

Ne'er cast a cloot, 'til May is oot

I've often wondered what that meant. I thought it was something to do with spring cleaning and perhaps it is. An alternative was suggested today; Don't cast off your Winter clothing until June.

This was proferred as I chittered away in shorts and t-shirt. The sun was out right enough but that North Easterly blowing through knew that this was Scotland and that Summer was last week.

Fine walking weather, though I elected to stay home, cut the grass and start pulling stuff together for next weekend's first wild camp of the year.

I know. I can't believe it either.

Update: Jerky, snacks and hydration stuff ordered. Dehydrated meals selected.

4 comments:

AktoMan said...

LOL - it was strange to meet the sunburnt Challengers coming over Glen Feshie on Saturday, all done up in cold/wet weather gear. Bright red faces shining under Alpine hats.

You'll enjoy yourself, Kev. I think that was my 4th night under canvas, and I can't say I've had a longer hike than Saturday's 5 1/2 hrs - all flat walking again.

Big Kev said...

I can match your 5 1/2hrs but your 4 nights under canvas trumps me. I'll take quality over quantity every time so let's not feel guilty. It's all good.
My campcraft will be rusty but I'm sure I'll have a great time regardless :o)

AktoMan said...

Dawn had some photos of the tarptent in snow, and the folk who camped west of the Linn of Dee swore to her that they had ground-frost.

As you say, it is all good.

I felt guilty meeting all these Challengers at the weekend, and my paunch became more of a weight on my mind. Heck, 3 years ago I'd never even bought a copy of TGO or Trail, had no thoughts of long distance trails or Munros. First Munro, July 2005. 3 years - what a change.

Big Kev said...

I look back 5 years and see a man who was a hillwalking machine. Out every w/e, regardless of the weather. He went away for a while but now he's coming back :o)